This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling a property inherited through deed of variation.

simking84
Selling a property inherited through deed of variation.

Postby simking84 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 am

Hello and good morning to all.

I am seeking some genuine sincere help please.

Where I am based.. UK 🇬🇧

LITTLE BACKGROUND.

My father died in 2016 Feb.. he did not have a will prior to death.

My mother wanted to transfer the house to me, the solicitors recommended a deed of variation and transfered to property to me (son). I at the same time also added my wife to the property as owner. All this was concluded through solicitors. This was done March 2017.

Since this time..m my mother died Nov 2019..

I currently have the house rented out but I am considering selling the property as I have had a recent valuation done to it.

Since I only paid legal fees at the time of the transfer and did not buy the property, what CGT or any tax would apply to me and how would this be calculated? Would I be subject to getting taxed?

For clarification, I do not live at that property as it is rented out by tenants.

At the time of the transfer, a valuation was done by the bank for the lending at the time and was valued at £140,000

Current market price as was valued yesterday is £190,000

Current mortgage on that property is £113,000.

Hope the information is clear for all to understand.

Would really be greatful for some help please. Thank you and please be safe all.. God bless you.

pawncob

Re: Selling a property inherited through deed of variation.

Postby pawncob » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:30 pm

The gain would be the selling price less original cost and expenses (sale and purchase). If there's no probate value, the mortgage valuation is a very good indication of base cost. The gain is c£50k less costs.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”