This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Giving a gift over £3k to a parent?

noob
Giving a gift over £3k to a parent?

Postby noob » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:00 pm

Hello,

First of all thank you very much for this great forum. I decided to join it because I find that the tax guidance by HMRC isn't clear enough for me.

My question is can I give my parent more than my annual allowance as a gift? E.g. if I give them £10k then how is this taxed?

Secondly, if have never used my annual allowance can it be carried forward perpetually? Or is it only possible to carry if forward for one year?

Thank you!!

Samson22

Re: Giving a gift over £3k to a parent?

Postby Samson22 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:05 am

There are no tax implications just reduces the exemption of IHT if you pass away within 7 years. The 3k can be carried forward 1 year so for one time only could gift 6k with no consequences at all.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”