This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Relevant property trusts "spread betting" CGT question

Andrew01
Relevant property trusts "spread betting" CGT question

Postby Andrew01 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:31 pm

Hello Trust forum

Hopefuly this is the right forum, or should i be posting under CGT forum?

"Spread betting"(similar financial product as futures) profits and losses are not subject to CGT for an individual.
What if a relevant property trust that makes gains or losses using spread betting would these gain or losses not be subject to CGT as is the case for an individual?
I get the feeling a Settlement would have pay CGT as is not an individual.

Thank you
Andrew

AGoodman

Re: Relevant property trusts "spread betting" CGT question

Postby AGoodman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:38 pm

There's no reason why it should be treated any different but:

(a) generally speaking, the idea of trustees spread betting sounds horrific.
(b) there may be slightly more chance that it could be considered trading (which is always a risk) and therefore profits subject to income tax

Andrew01

Re: Relevant property trusts "spread betting" CGT question

Postby Andrew01 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:59 pm

Hello AGoodman

Thank you for your reply.
I agree it sounds horrific for Trustees to use spread betting, as they are nomaly treated as gambling by HMRC
However it could be used to syntheticaly follow a portfolio eg FTSE100 and loop hole round CGT, but as you say,
this may then be deemed trading by HMRC and looks like income tax maybe payable in this case.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”