This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT planning

AMBD
IHT planning

Postby AMBD » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi

We're in a slightly sensitive situation and I'm looking to check whether or not I understand the IHT position correctly.

My mother in law is set to inherit some money but she is terminally ill. If she inherits it and then gifts it to her children I think I'm right in saying she will be taxed on it if she doesn't survive 7 years. I believe the current IHT threshold is £500k if taking into account the extra transfer of property allowance. Furthermore her husband died about 10 years ago and I don't know if his IHT allowance passes on to her or not, and and what amount. If his IHT allowance is worth £325k then there is no issue as the value of her estate would not reach £825k, but if not, it's possible it will be worth more than £500k if you include the amount she stands to inherit now (which is not confirmed yet) plus the value of her house.

My initial thought was that a deed of variation could be drawn up to pass the money she stands to inherit now straight to her daughters. Would that work as a method of avoiding any future IHT?

Obviously this is sensitive and I don't want to bulldozer in suggesting stuff like this if it's not accurate.

AGoodman

Re: IHT planning

Postby AGoodman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:03 am

Her maximum nil rate band is £1m consisting of:

Personal NRB - £325k
NRB transferred from husband - £325k (assuming he didn't use any on his death)
Residential nil rate band - £175k
RNRB transferred from husband

Both RNRBs will be capped at the value of her home, assuming she leaves it (or proceeds of sale) to children

Alternatively (or in addition), yes, she could make a deed of variation and the property would never become part of her estate for inheritance tax.

ben_power

Re: IHT planning

Postby ben_power » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:27 pm

Deed of variation would be the best route.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”