This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT Clause in Will

vickers
IHT Clause in Will

Postby vickers » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:40 am

Hi, my Estate is £3M and will attract IHT. I’m now 75 and want to leave matters resolved for my son, by writing a new Will, replacing a 2014 version, where he will be the sole Executor and beneficiary.

On 1 July 2019, I gifted him £144k to help him buy a house. If I pass away before 7 years are up in July 2026, I believe he’ll have to pay some tax on that Gift.

What wording should I add to my new Will so my Estate pays the Tax on the July2019 Gift, rather than my son doing so? Thank you.

maths

Re: IHT Clause in Will

Postby maths » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:20 pm

It may well be the gift gives rise to no actual IHT if father has an unused nil rate band(NRB) (£325k) or at least £144k at the date the gift is made and father dies within 7 years.

In the absence of a NRB then it should be possible to work out the maximum/minimum IHT charge which might arise (as this amount may be tapered) and then simply leave this amount as a cash gift in will to son tax free.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”