This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bridging loan and IHT

DIEM99
Bridging loan and IHT

Postby DIEM99 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:41 am

We are able to give a loan to our son and his wife to bridge a property sale and a purchase for which they have secured a mortgage.
The mortgage company are asking us to make a declaration in respect of their purchase. On the form they are asking us to sign it uses
the term 'gift' throughout in relation to what is in fact a bridging loan for probably only a couple of months.
Were either myself or wife to pass away during the next seven years could the amount loaned briefly be counted as a gift for IHT purposes by HMRC?

pawncob

Re: Bridging loan and IHT

Postby pawncob » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:54 pm

Explain it to them.
Obtain letter from son confirming that it's a loan.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Postby maths » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:00 pm

Either you are making a loan or making a gift; the transaction cannot be both.

Typically mortgage companies do not like the borrower to incur additional borrowings over and above the mortgage itself; in any event the mortgage ranks in priority to any other borrowing.

If you say it is a loan you may risk the mortgage company not agreeing to the mortgage or possible reducing the amount advanced or they may simply accept it without problem. Depends on amounts involved.

Suggest you gift to son.

DIEM99

Postby DIEM99 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:29 pm

What does RDA stand for dare I ask? !

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”