This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

If I buy a property in the UK, would I be considered UK domiciled?

mons
If I buy a property in the UK, would I be considered UK domiciled?

Postby mons » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:54 am

Hello

I am a UK resident and have lived in the UK for last 8 years. In the 7th year I was out of the country for almost a year to be with my sick mother in India.

I assume that I am a non-domicile in the UK.

I will be inheriting a property in India in next few years from my father in India. Will the sales from this property come under IHT umbrella?

If I now buy a property in the UK (as I am living in a rented flat), will I be considered UK domiciled ? And will it affect my inheritance in future?

Thanks in advance

AGoodman

Re: If I buy a property in the UK, would I be considered UK domiciled?

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:11 pm

"Will the sales from this property come under IHT umbrella?"

This doesn't really make sense as you wouldn't pay IHT on the sale of any property. You may have to pay CGT if the value goes up between your father's death and the sale. Being non-dom is unlikely to help you there as you would almost certainly have to pay the remittance basis charge for the privilege (at least £30,000).

Buying a UK property does not make you UK domiciled.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”