This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Future memorial expenses

bezbak
Future memorial expenses

Postby bezbak » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:08 pm

Sadly my Great Uncle has passed away with no Will. He has very little in his estate (approximately £6k) and no assets. As I am not able to provide him with a proper funeral due to Covid restrictions I have decided to organise a direct cremation with a memorial when restrictions are lifted. I know that the cremation expenses (£1700) can be covered out of his estate which the bank will pay directly to the Funeral Directors. However, is it possible to then claim for the future memorial service expenses in the IHT205(2011) form? As anything left in his estate will go to the state due to the lack of Will/blood relatives (I am next of kin through marriage), I would like to spend his small amount of money on what he would have liked (I don't think he realised this would have helped with a Will!). Would a memorial bench, a tree and plaque and maybe some refreshments for those attending a memorial be reasonable if it came to the balance of what was left? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lee Young

Re: Future memorial expenses

Postby Lee Young » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:52 pm

At a practical level, if the estate is only worth £6,000 then you won't need to do an inheritance tax return as you will not need a grant to administer such a small estate.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

bezbak

Postby bezbak » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:00 pm

I thought that too but I've been told by one of the banks (he had two with £3k in each) that I need to apply for Letters of Administration and for me to do that HMRC have said I need to complete an IHT205(2011) form. It seems ridiculous for such a small estate and filling in this form is proving to be so complicated! :cry:

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:09 pm

The banks will want the grant as there are no heirs to claim the funds - they would pay it to heirs if necessary.

It doesn't really matter whether you put the figures in the IHT forms or not as there is clearly no tax and HMRC won't care.

Your main issue may be a legal one - getting standing to obtain letters of administration when you are not an heir. Is it possible that there are actually heirs via his grandparents/great grandparents (distant cousins etc)? The list is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1987/2024/article/22/made or google NCPR 22

You might have looked into this (the right to a grant). If not, it might be worth speaking to what was the Treasury Solicitor, now the Bona Vacantia division (BVD) of the Government Legal Department bvestates@governmentlegal.gov.uk (you might find a phone number but I suspect they hide it). They could help on obtaining a grant and if they agree to a memorial. I would hope/expect so but I don't know their practice.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”