This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift in will of first deceased parent

david66
Gift in will of first deceased parent

Postby david66 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:37 pm

My father left 5k to a sibling in his will. He died about 6 months ago. A few months later his wife, my mother died, and we haven't got round to carrying out the original gift yet and are now preparing IHT documents for probate as both parents have now passed. I am not sure as to how to account for the gift in the IHT forms for my mother as the gift was in my father's will who predeceased her? All help gratefully accepted.

Thank you.

maths

Re: Gift in will of first deceased parent

Postby maths » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:53 pm

If gift was made in father's will to a sibling then this is irrelevant with respect to father's wife.

AGoodman

Re: Gift in will of first deceased parent

Postby AGoodman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:02 pm

Your mother's estate will include the property she was due to inherit from your father but this will just be included as a single value rather than itemised property. Assuming she was the only residuary beneficiary, that value will be the net value of father's estate after deduction of funeral costs, liabilities, legacies and any costs of administering his estate.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”