This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transfer date for CGT purposes - Inheritance Abroad.

R4tax2
Transfer date for CGT purposes - Inheritance Abroad.

Postby R4tax2 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:00 pm

Hello,

Under the following situation:
- Individual who deceased lived abroad and was not domiciled in the UK
- Individual receiving an asset as inheritance lives and is domiciled in the UK

The probate in the country of the deceased individual is judicial, where the courts need to approve the division of the estate between the beneficiaries. Until then, it is not certain which part of the estate will be inherited by whom. This can take several years.

Say date of death is X, date the court approves the division of the estate Y.

The beneficiary domiciled in the UK receives the asset, as valued in the probate in the local currency.

When selling this asset, the cost of the acquisition as I understand will uplifted to the "transfer date". From the perspective of HMRC, is that date X or Y?

My question is related to the exchange rate one would have to use when converting to the GBP.

Many thanks!

pawncob

Re: Transfer date for CGT purposes - Inheritance Abroad.

Postby pawncob » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:40 pm

The value is at the date of death, regardless of how long probate may take.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”