This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK domicile of origin - Worldwide Assets - IHT

JEFF26R
UK domicile of origin - Worldwide Assets - IHT

Postby JEFF26R » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:57 pm

This question seems to revolve around me being either deemed by my domicile of origin (UK) or my domicile of choice (France).

I appreciate it may be a complex issue, but if I live for the next 15 years plus as a French tax resident, and never return to live in the UK, and I have limited UK financial interests, how may I ensure that my estate will be settled in France and not the UK?

My expected UK financial interests are a UK State pension and four small final salary pensions.

I have no desire to be buried in the UK, but I would like to request that Regulation (EU) No 650/2012 is applied to my will, to avoid French Forced Heirship. Is this likely to be something alone that may cause my domicile to be judged as UK?

Planning for the unexpected, if I am deemed to be a UK domicile when I die, does it follow that all my worldwide assets will fall under UK IHT, including a Luxembourg assurance vie?

JEFF26R

Re: UK domicile of origin - Worldwide Assets - IHT

Postby JEFF26R » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:48 am

Will ( pardon the pun) anyone at least offer an opinion regarding one question?
If one is deemed to be a UK domicile at death, how does HMRC view and manage their Luxembourg assurance vie?

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”