This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

GROB - with multiple owners

lotrttt
GROB - with multiple owners

Postby lotrttt » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Hi, my FIL owned the main family residence outright, and has gifted it to his wife and 3 kids, with each of them holding 25%. He now lives there with the wife, but none of the kids live there.

Does he have to pay full rent to stay there to avoid a GROB?

Or 75% to the 3 kids and not to the wife because she lives there?

Or 50%, for...some reason?

Thanks

maths

Re: GROB - with multiple owners

Postby maths » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 pm

Probably not the best thing to have done from the tax perspective.

The gift is classified as a gift with reservation and thus on his death the house is treated as part of his estate for IHT unless, for example, he pays market rent to stay there (such rent taxable on the recipients). Rent would I think be for occupation of the full house.

On any future sale any capital gain would be subject to CGT on the children' parts as they don't live there.

No uplift for CGT on his death.

lotrttt

Postby lotrttt » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:20 am

Probably not the best thing to have done from the tax perspective.
Yup. He wasn't meant to be living there after the gift, but circumstances changed unfortunately.
The gift is classified as a gift with reservation and thus on his death the house is treated as part of his estate for IHT unless, for example, he pays market rent to stay there (such rent taxable on the recipients). Rent would I think be for occupation of the full house.
I understand that he has to pay market rent to avoid the gift with reservation of benefit. My main confusion is that his wife is a 25% owner and also lives there. "Rent would I think be for occupation of the full house." - are you saying that he has to pay the full rent on the house to the owners (regardless of who they are or where they are)?

maths

Postby maths » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:14 pm

Apologies. The GWR provisions do not apply to inter spouse gifts. Thus the 25% gift to wife is simply exempt but not the balancing 75.%. Rent would need to be 75% of mkt.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”