This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bare Trust transfer to a JISA

sigmund
Bare Trust transfer to a JISA

Postby sigmund » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:49 pm

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me advice on the following. I and my eldest daughter are trustees for a bare trust in favour of my grandson (the son of my youngest daughter). If my youngest daughter opens a stocks and shares JISA for her son, is it possible, as trustees, for us to transfer £9000 per annum from the bare trust to the JISA? If it is possible, would it be advantageous and could it cause any difficulties?

Stats

Re: Bare Trust transfer to a JISA

Postby Stats » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:27 pm

If the money is already in a Bare Trust, it is effectively the grandson's anyway so I cannot see a problem. It is effectively a left-hand to right hand transaction. If this is planned to be a annual event, perhaps consider the grandparents making the payment directly.
If regular and, grandad's finances permit, the cash could arguably be exempt from IHT under the presently-generous rules permitting "regular" gifts out of "surplus" income. There may be complications though if the source is the parents, as opposed to grandparents.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”