This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Disabled/Vulnerable Persons Trust Query

Jholm
Disabled/Vulnerable Persons Trust Query

Postby Jholm » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi all,

Quite a niche query to anyone involved with trusts....

With a disabled person's trust, I understand the following:

1. All income must be distributed to the beneficiary each year, with the exception of £3,000 / 3% trust value

2. A special claim for tax deduction can be made, as if the income arose on the beneficiary, substantially reducing the tax payable.

Is there actually much benefit in making this claim so far as trust income is concerned? Since almost all income must be distributed, it seems to me that where tax is saved by making the claim, it creates a shortfall in the tax pool (based on the tax on distributions that MUST be made).

Figures below to give an example (not accurate tax figures but you get the idea)

Trust income of £100k. Trust tax would be 45%, so £45,000 (exc. first £1k @ 20%) but a claim for deduction makes it (say) £20k. Trust is obliged to distribute all income so must pay (basically) the difference back to avoid a negative tax pool (assuming first year, no b/f etc).

Am I missing something? Happy to be told I'm being silly.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”