This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Family Home

sark taxman
Family Home

Postby sark taxman » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 am

About 20 years ago my mother gave me a plot of land and then she built a house on it, in which she continues to live.

For IHT, I assume that the house will form part of her estate as she doesn’t pay rent? If she now pays rent would this succeed in removing it from her estate?
For CGT I assume that the base cost is the land value of 20 years ago?

AGoodman

Re: Family Home

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:09 pm

IHT - Yes but it will take 7 years for the reservation of benefit to leave her estate. She may also have some beneficial interest in the property given the money she must have spent on improving it. That's a grey area and really depends on any agreement/understanding between you.

CGT - Yes.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”