This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Implications of interest free loan

Rows Mum
Implications of interest free loan

Postby Rows Mum » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:39 am

Hello

If I make an interest free loan (repayable on demand) to my child to assist with a property purchase, is the interest which I've decided not to charge a gift for IHT? If so, how do HMRC determine the value of this gift?

Thank you

RowsMum

strawn

Re: Implications of interest free loan

Postby strawn » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:33 pm

I do hope not; we've done it. I suppose the question is "what would be the commercial interest rate on a loan that must be paid back on demand"? I wouldn't pay a penny for such a loan. Would you?

Another approach is to look at it backwards. You are allowed to gift your son £3k p.a. exempt from IHT (unless you've been gifting money to other people too). You know how big the loan is: you know that he wouldn't pay as much for an on-demand loan as he'd pay for his mortgage loan. Are you in any realistic danger of exceeding £3k in interest forgone?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:48 pm

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/borrowing-from-friends-and-family-informal-loans.html
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:49 pm

https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers/interest-free-family-loan
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”