This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bills contribution with parents in annex

WonderWoody
Bills contribution with parents in annex

Postby WonderWoody » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:22 pm

Hi,

The outlaws are coming to live with us. It is a house with a detached annex - all within the curtilage of the main house.
We will not be charging rent but to make it easier all the bills will remain in my name and they will pay a contribution to costs such as Water, Electric, Gas, Septic Tank, Broadband, etc.

Because they will be paying me a monthly amount, I don't want this to be considered as a Gift for the likes of Inheritance Tax or if they have to go into long term care.

We were going to draw up a contract that identified the fixed monthly cost and what it was for, but is this the best way? Would it stand up in court should the worst happen?

Advice please.

John.

Samson22

Re: Bills contribution with parents in annex

Postby Samson22 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:01 am

Hi, Not totally okay with the care issue but re inheritance tax issues every year someone can gift up to 3000 and is not counted even if passed away so in this case would mean 6000 which I hazard a guess would cover it all . Unless they are gifting monies to others. After 7 years they would be ignored for iht purposes

maths

Postby maths » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:05 pm

It's probably preferable not to treat the parents as paying rent but simply making gifts.

As commented above, each parent could gift up to £3,000 per annum (ie £6,000 in total).

Depending doing upon the size of the parents' estates there may not be any IHT issues for them.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:50 am

I don't think a contribution to household bills should be considered rent or a gift.

I'd go so far as to say there is no need to have any kind of agreement, just keep a note of how you calculated the number in case it is ever questioned. I would be amazed if it were ever questioned.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”