This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Will bare trusts for children need to be registered?

uncle john
Will bare trusts for children need to be registered?

Postby uncle john » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:46 pm

I gather that there's been an extension to the kind of trusts which will have to be registered.

We have set up bare trusts for our minor grandchildren, to hold unit trusts etc for them until they're 18.
The income and capial gains from these assets are quite small, and easily covered by the children's own exemption limits.
Is there yet any certainty as to whether such trusts will need to be registered, and if so, what are the deadlines?

thanks

AGoodman

Re: Will bare trusts for children need to be registered?

Postby AGoodman » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:08 pm

Yes, i'm afraid so.

The deadline for first registration is 10 March 2022.

You fall under Category A in para 45ZA of the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017 (SI 2017/692)

available here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/692/regulation/45ZA

And yes, it is ridiculous. And yes, there will be massive non-compliance...

uncle john

Postby uncle john » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:55 pm

Thanks - I absolutely agree that it's pointless - totally disproportionate.

If I could further ask - is there any suggestion that the tax regime might change from being taxed on the child, as it is now, to that of the trust regime - and ditto for the Legal Entity Identifier? Imposing both those would surely be even more ridiculous.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:46 pm

No, this is an entirely standalone initiative driven by the European Commission who didn't understand/like the use of trusts in the UK and apparently David Cameron didn't understand the implications either.

It's not really meant to be a tax initiative at all - it's just been given to HMRC as it's rather helpful to them and they've combined it with their pre-existing registration of trusts with a tax liability.

uncle john

Postby uncle john » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:12 pm

Thank you very much for your help.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:55 pm

Your trust is probably exempt.
https://www.gov.uk/trusts-taxes/registering-a-trust
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:52 pm

Pawncob - I'm fairly confident your link has not yet been updated to reflect MLD5. It describes the rules now but they are changing (in fact the amendment came into force on 6 October 2020). The 2017 Regs on legislation.gov.uk are also nearly a year out of date.

Most bare trusts, other than for home ownership, have to be registered by 10 March. It's a bit of a scandal that HMRC have not yet updated their advice but that is perhaps because they have not yet updated their software and process for registering all these additional trusts. They don't want people to try to register until they're good and ready.

The only exempt trusts are listed in Schedule 3A to the 2017 Regs, which is available here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/991/regulation/11/made

someone

Postby someone » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:00 pm

The only exempt trusts are listed in Schedule 3A to the 2017 Regs, which is available here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/991/regulation/11/made
Does 'property' mean bricks and mortar or any property?

I cannot see joint bank accounts being excluded from registration if it does mean buildings.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:43 pm

Yes, i'd remembered wrongly. The co-ownership exemption would include joint bank accounts provided the account holders were also the beneficial owners.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”