This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Receiving gift out of income

riccardob
Receiving gift out of income

Postby riccardob » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:53 am

Hello,

I would like to know if when receiving gifts out of income from a parent I need to pay tax on said amount.
Also am I free to invest the amount into my personal SIPP?

Regards,

Jholm

Re: Receiving gift out of income

Postby Jholm » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:27 pm

No tax due upon receipt. Possibly IHT due if the person gifting dies within 7 years and has exceeded their nil rate band already. However, assuming the gifts are exempt as 'gifts from regular income', then no IHT issues.

Re: pension, you can contribute from these funds but need to be mindful that the gross amount saved does not exceed your relevant earnings (which will vary depending on your income sources).

See: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/pensions-tax-manual/ptm044100

riccardob

Re: Receiving gift out of income

Postby riccardob » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:35 pm

Thanks

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”