This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Will Trust - Donations

Jholm
Will Trust - Donations

Postby Jholm » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Hi all,

As far as I can see there is no provision with which this is possible but ask the experts and all...

Facts:

Will trust set up with one 'beneficiary' but the funds are used to pay school fees. The trust made a donation of several thousand to the school, to help some parents who were struggling during the pandemic. The school has asked if they can reclaim gift aid, which on the face of it would be a no since the donation was not made by an individual.

However, can anyone think of any kind of structure where this might be possible for the future? Is there any argument under which you could claim the donation to be a deductible expense (thinking not myself)?

The trust pays income tax on mostly dividends.

Thanks,

Jholm

Re: Will Trust - Donations

Postby Jholm » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Just to add... a distribution to the beneficiary and then a subsequent donation from them as an individual would give rise to tax being due since their total income would be below PA.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:29 pm

Seems trust used trust monies but not for the purpose of trust beneficiaries?

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:40 pm

Good point, overlooked on my part. Could there be a clause in the trust deed that would allow this?

We don't deal with the trust, just the school so cannot comment in much details about the trust itself.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”