This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Post Death Trust & Inheritance Tax

LJBQuery
Post Death Trust & Inheritance Tax

Postby LJBQuery » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:37 pm

My father has left his house to his 3 children on trust to sell once his beneficiary (unmarried partner) either passes away or remarries. Does this mean that although the house is being left to direct descendants that we will not be able to claim the RNRB? Also does this affect whether we can claim the TRNRB from my mother who passed away over 20 years ago? Thanks

AGoodman

Re: Post Death Trust & Inheritance Tax

Postby AGoodman » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:38 pm

Almost certainly not i'm afraid.

The arrangement would be treated as a settlement and, as per s.8J(4) Inheritance Tax Act, you and your siblings are only treated as inheriting if you have an immediate right to benefit from the property. Your father's partner has this right rather than you.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”