This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift / IHT question

Libby Jane
Gift / IHT question

Postby Libby Jane » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:28 pm

Hello, my parents are in their early 90's. Their joint estate is currently worth in the region of £1,100,000, including the house which is worth approximately £750,000. They wish to gift me and my brother £50,000 each from their joint bank account. The rest of their estate, in their wills, will be left to each other. I realise the gift will come under PET rules but could someone please advise as to when this would kick in? Does it come into effect on the first death or will it not apply until both parents have passed? Many thanks. :)

pawncob

Re: Gift / IHT question

Postby pawncob » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:36 pm

They act a individuals. If one dies their gift falls under PET rules.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Libby Jane

Postby Libby Jane » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:43 pm

Thanks very much pawncob. Am I right in thinking that no tax will be due on the first death as it will be within their nil band allowance, and that the unused allowance will be transferred to the surviving spouse?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Yes.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Libby Jane

Postby Libby Jane » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:31 pm

Thank you, much appreciated.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”