This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Spousal Exemption for non-doms

DtheRed
Spousal Exemption for non-doms

Postby DtheRed » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:22 pm

Morning,

Quick questions for which I hope are simple answers. My Mum and dad are both now non-doms (and non residents) for over 7 years having retired overseas. But their more valuable assets (house and cash) are mostly in the UK. My questions are:

1. In terms of IHT, do they still benefit from the Nil Rate Band of £325,000 each?
2. If one passes before the other, can they still automatically transfer their estate to the spouse tax free or is there a limit for non-doms? (I have seen lots of advice for UK-Dom to non-UK domicile being capped at £325,000 but nothing for non-UK Dom to non-UK dom).
3. Can they still elect main UK residence if their house here has never been rented out?

Cheers

maths

Re: Spousal Exemption for non-doms

Postby maths » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:24 pm

1. Yes

2. Totally UK tax free; no limit applies.

3. Probably not. If, as seems likely, they acquired a residence overseas in which they live it is unlikely the UK property will continue to be a residence and even if it has remained a residence they would have had a two year cut off to make any election in favour of the UK residence.

DtheRed

Re: Spousal Exemption for non-doms

Postby DtheRed » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:43 pm

Thanks maths!

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”