This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Need for probate or not ?

Remittub
Need for probate or not ?

Postby Remittub » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:09 am

Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum to use for this - do move it if necessary !

I am the sole executor to my deceased wife's estate and the sole beneficiary under her will. The only assets in her sole name are with NS&I and they appear to be willing to release funds with provision of the death certificate and a certified copy of the will (no mention of probate). I believe the spouse exemption will apply regarding our house (jointly owned) and no IHT should therefore be due in that regard. However, my wife's estate will shortly be receiving about £270,000 from my deceased brother's estate. We divested the majority of our assets to our daughters over the past 7 years, but some, unfortunately, may well attract a degree of IHT. My question is, under these circumstances, will there be a need to apply for probate, or should I be able to proceed without it ? Thank you for your assistance !

pawncob

Re: Need for probate or not ?

Postby pawncob » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:19 am

Did your brother die before your wife or after?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Remittub

Postby Remittub » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi pawncob,
My brother died in March 2020 whereas my wife died in February 2022

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:03 pm

There is never an obligation to take out probate, it is just a tool to establish title to assets of the estate. If the executors of your brother's estate (which may of course be you) are willing to hand over the funds without a grant then it may not be necessary.

The only question will be whether there is an obligation to file an IHT400 inheritance tax account. If there is any inheritance tax to pay on the gifts then I fear you will have to file an account.

Remittub

Postby Remittub » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:46 pm

Aplolgies - I may not have been clear enough. My question was relating to my wife's estate, not my brother's (which DOES have an Irish Grant of Probate)

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:58 pm

Yes, I was also referring to your wife's estate. The administrators of your late wife's estate would usually have to take out a grant in order to prove title to the £270k from your late brother's estate. However, if your late brother's executors are comfortable handing over the cash without a grant in your wife's estate, they can.

Remittub

Postby Remittub » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:18 pm

Yes, I am one of the executors of my brother's estate, and the co-executor has raised no objection to the transfer. I was more concerned that the UK "system" might require me to apply for probate, but I can't see the need (The NS&I money came into account today, and that was the only asset solely in my wife's name)

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”