This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on Money Held in Family Trust

mrfixituk45
Tax on Money Held in Family Trust

Postby mrfixituk45 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:20 am

My sister and I set up a family trust in October 2015 as our dad was diagnosed with dementia. His bank account balance was placed in it 95k. He died in April last year. The trust is still live but my sister has had her share which was transferred to her bank account. Is she liable for HMRC taxes which need reporting?

AGoodman

Re: Tax on Money Held in Family Trust

Postby AGoodman » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:39 am

No way of knowing without a lot more information, principally values and the terms of the trust. It's quite possible there was no tax but it's equally possible there was inheritance tax and/or income tax.

I trust your father had mental capacity when he transferred his money to the trust in 2015.

I'd suggest speaking to the adviser who established the trust in 2015.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”