This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gifting money to a non-relative to buy a house

fizio
Gifting money to a non-relative to buy a house

Postby fizio » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:01 pm

Hi - a question on gifting and tax involving a non-family member (ie a close friend). I wish to give them money to buy a house outright. Me estate is worth more than IHT so do I need to declare this gift to hmrc and are there any tax implications for the recipient? Or is it better for me to buy the property myself and then gift him the property - though this seems more complicited.
Appreciate any advice before I take it up with solicitor/accountant etc

maths

Re: Gifting money to a non-relative to buy a house

Postby maths » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:38 pm

A gift by you to them is a PET. Thus, no IHT liability arises unless you die within 7 years of making the gift.

Even if you die within the 7 years, depending upon the amount involved it may be that still no IHT liability arises.

In the event IHT does arise the primary liability will be that of your friend.

Cash gift preferable and easier.

fizio

Postby fizio » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:42 pm

thanks maths - though being a 6 figure sum I am not sure about 'cash' :-)

maths

Postby maths » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:44 pm

If a six figure sum of cash is involved then whether you purchase the property with it or gift the cash to your friend questions will be raised as to its source (re money laundering). If it is all legitimate and provable then either way there should be no problem.

Whether a gift or loan it should all be properly documented on your part for future reference if necessary.

fizio

Postby fizio » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:02 am

Yes - funds are fully legit in my bank so no issues with money laundering etc and yes will make sure to document appropriately
appreciate your assistance..

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”