This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Last Will and Testament….

Another1
Last Will and Testament….

Postby Another1 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:28 am

If a solicitor draws up a Will and holds it on your behalf,then say six years later you review that Will which leads to a new Will to being written,does the original Will get destroyed?

….Or say after another period, circumstances change and the original Will best suits your needs,can the solicitor be instructed to re instate the old Will to become your ‘Last Will and Testament…..’

…or would a new Will have to be written?

bd6759

Re: Last Will and Testament….

Postby bd6759 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:00 pm

This is not a tax question.

But your heading answers your question: it is the last will that matters. But it should include wording to the effect that it replaces and supersedes all others just to be clear.

Another1

Postby Another1 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:28 pm

This is not a tax question.

So which Forum should it be posted to?

But your heading answers your question: it is the last will that matters. But it should include wording to the effect that it replaces and supersedes all others just to be clear.
I understand what you are saying…but if the solicitor kept previous wills (rather than destroying them),could I instruct that he destroys the last Will and make the previous Will,the last Will and Testament@

maths

Postby maths » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:06 pm

A will (W1) which has been revoked by a later will (W2), as presumably the case here (ie W2 revoked W1), then W1 cannot be revived simply by revoking W2.

W1 to be revived would need to be re-executed following the usual formalities OR by executing a codicil which demonstrates an intention to revive the revoked will.

Another1

Postby Another1 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:03 pm

Thank you maths…

Another1

Postby Another1 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:58 am

A will (W1) which has been revoked by a later will (W2), as presumably the case here (ie W2 revoked W1), then W1 cannot be revived simply by revoking W2.

W1 to be revived would need to be re-executed following the usual formalities OR by executing a codicil which demonstrates an intention to revive the revoked will.
If I had a copy of W1 and simply re-typed it and included new witnesses,all signed up and dated,could I not now legally regard this as my new Will?….If W2 was in the hands of solicitors,presumably I would need to inform them of new W1?

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:28 am

(1) Yes - although you might want to check the law has not changed in any relevant way; and
(2) It would be very sensible to avoid confusion

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”