This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Life Insurance & Chargeable Event

AdamSf
Life Insurance & Chargeable Event

Postby AdamSf » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:36 am

Hi,

I was LPA and now Executor of a deceased relatives will.
They have no direct descendents and were widowed over twenty years ago.

I advised The Life Insurance of their death and they have subsequently sent me a Chargeable Event Certificate which details cash in value, amount of gain and also a notional tax figure.

Have been advised it should be disclosed to HMRC on the next tax return. They further advise " the policy is treated as having borne basic rate income tax, however this is notional tax which is not repayable even if you pay no tax or pay tax only at the basic rate"

The deceased was retired and paid basic rate tax on state and private pension. In due course I need apply for probate so how do I treat this? Will the amount paid as Life Insurance be subject to tax twice as I am sure I have to include the full payout on the IHT400 form (as IHT will need to be paid).

Quite confused.

My gratitude and appreciation to anybody that can help.

AGoodman

Re: Life Insurance & Chargeable Event

Postby AGoodman » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:33 pm

Was the policy written in trust at all? If there is nothing in the papers, the insurer itself may know.

If so, it is likely outside of the estate (assuming the deceased was not a beneficiary of the trust).

If there was no trust, the payout will be an asset of the estate - Box 57 of IHT400 and IHT410

Can't help you on the CGT/IT side I'm afraid but doubt there are additional taxes (I may be wrong!).

AdamSf

Re: Life Insurance & Chargeable Event

Postby AdamSf » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:03 pm

Hi,

No it's not in trust - Will have a look at IHT410

Many thanks for your reply.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”