This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bringing in foreign savings to start UK Buy and Let LLP business

claraberg
Bringing in foreign savings to start UK Buy and Let LLP business

Postby claraberg » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:48 pm

Good afternoon. I am a foreign residing and working in the UK for the last 13 years. On top of my teaching job, I want to start a Buy to Let business in Scotland to invest in the UK which I love so much and leave something to my kids in the future. Am I allowed to bring in some old savings from overseas earned about 30 years ago and left untouched in order to buy my first buy to let property? Thanks a lot for your time spent on an answer. Kind regards. Aline.

AGoodman

Re: Bringing in foreign savings to start UK Buy and Let LLP business

Postby AGoodman » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:14 am

Yes, there is no tax on simply bringing money here except in very limited circumstances which will not apply to you.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:01 pm

Have you been claiming remittance basis treatment?

claraberg

Postby claraberg » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:54 pm

Have you been claiming remittance basis treatment?
No, I never claimed remittance basis. I had never even heard of that term until 3 years ago.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:31 pm

If you have not claimed remittance basis treatment then any monies earned on your overseas monies (eg interest on cash deposits; dividends on shares) would need to have been disclosed and taxed in the UK even if such monies remained overseas.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”