This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gifts out of income or PET's

Uther
Gifts out of income or PET's

Postby Uther » Fri May 06, 2022 11:01 am

Hi,

After taking all exemptions into account, NRB, TNRB, RNRB & TRNRB the estate will not be liable to IHT.
Gifts were made out of income and income / expenditure records kept.

However even if all the gifts over the previous 7 year period were added to the estate, IHT would still not be payable.

As the gifts out of income would have to be “claimed” and may be subject to scrutiny and queries,
would it be simpler / advisable just to declare the gifts on IHT403 as PET’S or am I missing something?

AGoodman

Re: Gifts out of income or PET's

Postby AGoodman » Fri May 06, 2022 4:48 pm

If there's no tax anyway, I wouldn't expect the gifts to be scrutinised. HMRC would (probably) appreciate that it makes no difference therefore not bother.

Personally, I'd claim the exemption. It doesn't take long and then you have completed the form correctly.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”