This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Passing on nil rate band to spouse

gfod49
Passing on nil rate band to spouse

Postby gfod49 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:41 pm

My wife and I have mirror wills and are joint owners of our house which is seems likely to be worth in excess of £1000000. We have cash assets with my wife assets valued above the £350,000 nil rate band but mine below that figure. My concern is should I die first as I do not have sufficient assets to met the nil rate band can some of my half ownership of the house be taken into account when passing my share of the nil rate band to her.

pawncob

Re: Passing on nil rate band to spouse

Postby pawncob » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:23 pm

All assets passed to your wife are free of IHT (and CGT).
She will get the whole of your Nil Rate Band.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

gfod49

Postby gfod49 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:39 am

Thanks I should have realised that. One further question if we wish to gift large sums to our sons now in the hope we live 7 years to avoid IHT would it be safer we ensure the payments are split between us ? Assuming the gifts in total exceed the £325000, say £200000 from each of us.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:35 am

That's not really a tax question, just one of risk. All things being equal, it may be sensible. If you think one of you might have a better life expectancy then it might be better to bias the gift in their favour.

In any case, you would want to keep the individual gifts below £325k so that if somebody bad did happen, at least there would not be any tax on the first death.

gfod49

Postby gfod49 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:09 pm

That was my thought appreciate the comments.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”