This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Discounted Gift Trust - Capital or Income?

langtonbrow
Discounted Gift Trust - Capital or Income?

Postby langtonbrow » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:56 am

Hello to the forum,

My mother has had a discounted gift trust for the last 10 years.

This provides an ongoing "distribution" of capital from the trust, presumably until my mother dies or the capital runs out.

As the distribution is capital, can it also be used as a regular gift within the HMRC rules on IHT exception for "gifting out of income"? My mother has been regularly gifting this sum for grandchildren's education. As it is capital, perhaps it is subject to the 7 year rule despite being "spare cash" which isn't depriving her of her accustomed lifestyle?

This seems a somewhat confused picture (to me anyway). Can anyone clarify the position.

with thanks
l.

AGoodman

Re: Discounted Gift Trust - Capital or Income?

Postby AGoodman » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:52 am

Those are capital receipts, rather than income, which is why I presume your mother does not have to declare them for income tax.

If you mother has other excess income that would cover the amount she is giving away (as well as her living expenses), her estate may still be able to claim the IHT exemption but I would need to look into it to confirm.

langtonbrow

Re: Discounted Gift Trust - Capital or Income?

Postby langtonbrow » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:30 pm

Thank you for this.
Makes e wonder what the point of the DGT was. Simply shifting capital around from one initial pile to a slowly accumulating pile subject to the vagaries of investment income.
If these are capital receipts then in out case more gifts exist than "true" income + living expenses.
Hence I suppose the excess element could be treated as potentially exempt transfers, with a £3000 allowance per year. Sill liable to IHT beyond this threshold.

thank you.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”