This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift of money from parents overseas

nfshirley

Postby nfshirley » Mon May 26, 2003 7:20 am

Am I liable to taxation in the UK if my Italian parents give me a gift of money from Italy for which I am going to buy a house in the UK with. I have worked in the UK for one year, and do not have residency as yet, but pay NI and standard tax on my salary here.

Taxbar

Postby Taxbar » Tue May 27, 2003 1:54 am

Dear nfshirley,

The easy answer is no. However, there maybe complications and questions asked by the UK Revenue.
I always advise Non-Domiciled Clients to effect any gifts offshore to avoid any UK Inheritance Tax arguments, as well as income tax and CGT questions.
You should ideally transfer the money to a Bank Account in a tax haven in your name , Jersey or Isle of Man as examples.

Then you can transfer the money directly to the UK.

If you open a bank account offshore, you ideally need separate capital and income accounts.

Finally, remember there maybe Italian tax issues on such a gift.

Daniel Feingold editor UK & International Tax Section.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”