This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Declaring income from

Frank Cheese
Joined:Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:30 pm
Declaring income from

Postby Frank Cheese » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:40 pm

Hi, i have a full-time job as an employee of a higher education institution with regular PAYE and i routinely do my tax return.
This year i have started doing some consultancy for an overseas company and i am getting paid as contractor through, with a variable amount at the completion of each project.
So far the income from the consultancy did not go past the 1k threshold but it's likely to exceed that in the next financial year. How do I declare this on my tax return?

I did the HRMC questionnaire and it gave me as outcome that I am "Employed for tax purposes for this work" however this does not look right, I tried to repeat it by indicating as a limited company / intermediary and the result was inconclusive. The payments I am receiving are not taxed, i.e. I am receiving the full amount per project (just converted from USD to GBP), and I am pretty sure Deel did not add me to their payroll (I am a contractor, not a worker or employee on their website).

I have also filled in a W-8BEN form on Deel in which it's stated that I am a tax resident of UK.

Any advice please? Detailed instructions would be welcome. I guess if I need to declare this as independent income, I would mention Deel, but not the actual company who is originating the projects (there is an NDA involved).

Thanks a lot.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm
Location:West Sussex

Re: Declaring income from

Postby pawncob » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:49 am
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”