This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employment, self-employment, class 1 AND 2 contributions + 4?

YoBear

Postby YoBear » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:11 pm

Hi:)

This has bugged me for some time and I am hoping for some guidance.
I am a self-employed actor who has had some abysmal income for the last two years i.e. less than 1Kpa and use my employment to finance my lifestyle i.e. PAYE £25Kpa.
I am paying Class 1 contributions for my PAYE employment but should I also be paying Class 2 contributions for the fact of my class 1 contributions? Should I simply apply for Class 2 exception? Will I lose any benefits by not paying Class 2 NI contributions?
Finally, on a tax return they have separated the tick boxes for Class 4 contributions Exceptions and Deferment into two separate boxes. In light of my earnings and circumstances, which one should I be ticking?

Thank you in advance in answering this.

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:38 pm

As your earnings from self-employment are below the small earnings threshold of £4,315 then you can apply for exception from paying class 2 NIC. You can also claim a refund of overpaid contributions to date.

You will not be paying any class 4 anyway as your income does not exceed £4,895. You do not need to tick any of the class 4 boxes as neither apply to you at this stage.

Your PAYE earnings are not high enough to apply for deferment of class 2 and class 4 NIC so this is not an option.

The Class 1 paid on your earnings will be sufficient for state benefits purposes so cancelling your class 2 will not be a problem.

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”