This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non resident NIC
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Postby » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:44 am

IÂ’m working abroad now as a non-resident. Unfortunately my agency insists on paying me through my UK Company. Is there anyway to pay less or avoid paying UK National insurance contributions. Seems pointless to pay 20% of my income when I donÂ’t live in the UK

Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:26 am


Assuming you are definitely non-resident, and the income is arising outside the UK, there shouldnÂ’t be any UK tax arising.

However if (for example) you had UK property earning income IN the UK, this would be taxable, although there are ways and means to mitigate this. IÂ’m guess this is property income as would be taxed at source at 20% by a property agent.

If you want to contact me for a free consultation we can discuss you affairs in more detail, and see if there is any way to reduce your tax bill.

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
01284 764436

Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Postby EXPATAX@BLUEYONDER.C » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:43 am

The amount of UK Social Security Tax you pay in respect of earnings from your compay will depend greatly on the country you are now a resident and whether there is a Social Security Agreement with that country.

If there is an agreement you do not have to pay Social Security in both countries.

Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Postby Topcat » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:23 am

I live in Spain and pay NI in Spain is there any way this can go towards my pension in the Uk if I stay in Spain or move back to the UK

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”