This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NI for a Director working as Employee?

ramone

Postby ramone » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:39 am

Thanks for reading my post.

I'm a Director of a firm, but essentially working as a PAYE employee (my firm is a trading division of a UK limited company). For simplicity up to now I've essentially just been treated (for tax purposes) as a normal employee.

I get a basic monthly salary (which I pay PAYE income tax on, plus the company bears my employers NI contribution on this salary as a cost in the same manner as my salary).

However, if we make an annual profit (which I am thus entitled to 45% of) of say £100,000 - my share (£45,000) becomes £39,893 (before PAYE tax) as I'm made to bear the full employers NI contribution at 12.8%.

Do the other Directors (not PAYE) actually pay 12.8% on their share? If I was paid properly as a Director would this help? Do you think its fair that the company bears some of my employers NI but not all of it?

Is this complete madness? Fortunately for my firm I'm better at doing my job than understanding Accounting procedures!

In addition what are the major tax disadvantages for me as I'm simply just paying PAYE?

Thanks for your help in advance.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:18 am

Are you actually a member of the Board of Directors?

Or is the title of "Director" merely for status purposes etc?

ramone

Postby ramone » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:27 am

I'm a registered Director of the non-trading company, but not the parent company - we operate as a 'Trading Division' of them.

So to answer your question, probably more status than substance, but I do own 45% of the shares of the (non-trading) company and more importantly, am entitled to 45% of the profit!

Thanks

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 am

I am not sure I understand how a non-trading company can operate as a "Trading Division".

Are you actually a subsiduary? Does the parent company own the other 55% of the shares? What about the other directors?

I assume a dividend route is not possible?

ramone

Postby ramone » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:54 am

Neither am I quite frankly, but that's what it says at the bottom of our headed paper.

We don't trade via the NT company at all - we're are essentially just a division (with seperate P&L etc.) and yes the parent owns the other 55% of the shares.

The other Directors (3 who own parent company) have no involvement at all, other than one who oversees financial situation. We're in profit consistently so they don't really care.

Situation was something to do with (their) corporate tax burden when we set up - hence why we are not a seperate ltd company. Dividends thus not possible? Sorry to sound stupid, but why is that preferable anyway?

Thanks

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:05 am

There is no NI on dividends (at the moment).

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”