This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Film Losses

despearate den

Postby despearate den » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:18 am

An Inspector has confirmed that Film losses carried back cannot be repaid at 41% (40+1Class 4 NI) and is adamant he is correct.

I am aware that Losses for Class 4 NIC purposes are slightly different in that they can be carried forward, if the loss is not matched with income subject to Class4 .

Can someone clarify

al_eebee

Postby al_eebee » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:24 pm

If you are carrying back to a year pre the 1% higher NIC rate than I believe he is correct that you will only get 40% repaid in the stand alone claim, BUT going forwards for C4NIC purposes the loss set against other income on carry back will be available to reduce future C4 charges.

So in a way you are both right. He will repay 40% by stand alone claim and you will in future years set the losses off against other income chargeable to C4 and get you 1% in the future

al_eebee

Postby al_eebee » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:19 pm

Actually I should qualify that as I have assumed in the first answer that there was no income liable to C4NIC in the year to which the loss was carried back. If there was then to the extent that the losses are set off and there is no 1% HR charge you will have lost 1% refund

despearate den

Postby despearate den » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:57 am

The years carried back to are 2004/05 and 2003/2004 where the 1% was originaaly paid.

So you agree it s/b at 41%

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”