This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Using UK NI credits towards US social security

Shortz

Postby Shortz » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:14 am

I have insufficient US social security credits
for a pension (about 1 year's worth missing) but I do have about 17 years of paid up National Insurance credits. I understand that under the US - UK Social Security Agreement the US system can take UK contributions into account (but the UK doesn't take US contributions into account). Can anyone please tell me exactly how this works? In particular, I'd like to know if using UK credits in this way has any effect on the UK pension. Thanks in advance.

kirstie.williamson@a

Postby kirstie.williamson@a » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:58 am

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefit ... -oct05.pdf

Try this link to the DWP website.

KW

Shortz

Postby Shortz » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:43 am

Thank you, very useful. It doesn't go into a lot of detail regarding the Windfall Elimination Provisions, but that's probably something for a US-based forum.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”