This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Not paying tax

katty

Postby katty » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:55 am

Iam on a UK working holiday visa and from Australia. I have been working for 6 months as a temporary nanny and have had 2 different employers and getting paid in cash. I have been ignorant and naive and assumed my tax was being paid by my employers and was unaware that it was illegal to work without an NI number. Neither the agencies or my employers have asked for an NI number from me. I would like to get this matter sorted out with Inland Revenue and pay back any tax. I Would appreciate any advice, as the penalties may differ, when not a citizen of this country. Please help! Thankyou

jpcentral

Postby jpcentral » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:37 am

Your employers are likely to be in more trouble than you - it is illegal to employ someone without ensuring that they are legally allowed to work in this country.

I think you need to do two things.

1. Apply for an NI number by ringing 0845 600 0643. You will probably be asked to attend an interview at a Jobcentre Plus office and produce ID.

2. Contact your local tax office and arrange to go and see them to sort out your tax.

If you are doing this voluntarily, I can't see that there will be any penalties.

John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
www.centralbusiness.co.uk
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”