This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Leaving the UK - Possibility to reclaim tax?

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Postby remstersw19@hotmail. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:26 am

Dear Sir/Madam
Leaving the UK after 7 wonderful years, I heard that I could reclaim some of my past NI contributions. How do I proceed? What are the conditions?
Best regards

Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:32 am


You cannot reclaim your NI, but you may be able to reclaim some income taxes.

This is because you get full year allowances in the year of departure, which can lead to a nice rebate.

To proceed you can either DIY using a P85(s) available from the IR website, or you could use an accountant such as myself to advise if you are eligible and to make the reclaim on your behalf.


James Smith
Chartered Accountant
01284 764436

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”