This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I contract out?

Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:06 pm

Postby Adam » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:39 am


I am currently an employee working in the UK (I will be unlikely to work here more than 10 years) and there is no way I am ever going to retire here as I am from New Zealand. I am not interested in a UK pension as NZ currently pays a pension regardless at retirement age if you live there.

Ideally I would like to opt out of a UK pension all together and pay less NI but I don't think you can do that here. Can I opt out of the state pension scheme (SERPS?) I am charged for in NI and instead pay into an approved bare minimal private scheme? In order to end up with a larger pay packet at the end of the day due to the reduced NI charge?


Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”