This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

National Insurance and emigration

Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Postby Fishol » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:32 pm

Both myself and my wife recently finished work to concentrate on our emigration to the USA.

I do not believe we are entitled to any benefits as we left work voluntarily, but we have been advised by a friend that we should still have 'signed on' to preserve our national insurance contributions (we have both worked for over 20 years each).

Is this the case and is it worth us still contibuting to NI whilst abroad, we have no intention though of returning to this country but would we still qualify for a UK pension if we live in the US.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:08 pm

Postby davidc@james-barry.c » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:53 am


My basic understanding concerning the UK NI issues raised above is that, firstly, your 20 years of paying NI contribtions here will entitle you to a proportion of the State pension (around 46% if a table I saw recently is to be believed) at the relevant age in the future. In my experience, many people would not then make voluntary NI conts in your situation-after all, who knows what we will end up with from the UK Govt in future in return for making them ? Additionally, if you are working in the US following your move, you will be paying US social security contributions and will start building entitlements to benefits there.

If you unexpectedly end up coming back to the UK after a few years, you would have the chance to review the UK NI situation at that time, and could pay for prior years then, if considered worthwhile.

If you need any assistance on the tax implications of your move overseas (such as preparation of tax returns or refund claims for the tax year of your departure, or completion of Inland Revenue departure documentation) please feel free to contact me, as I have many years experience of working in that area of tax, particularly concerning moves to the USA.

Happy to have a brief chat over some of the issues with you at no cost - please email me if interested. Good luck with the move - hope all goes well.

David (

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:08 pm

Postby adamm » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:19 am


I'm in a similar position, however having only worked 4 years in the UK, my partner & I are intending to return to our native country (Australia) in a year and a half. I have Right of Abode (not passport) for the UK, my partner has both passports - if that affects what I'm asking.

Is is possible to claim back all NI paid? And in regards to personal pensions, is there a way to claim back all this too, without invoking heavy tax penalties? I earn well into the highest UK taxation rate currently.

I'm already planning leaving the country a couple of months after the tax year starts for 2005 and after the tax year starts in Australia (June/July) so hopefully it would give some tax relief.

My partner & I also own a house, which we intend to rent out when we return to Australia.

We're not desperate to claim back NI or pensions quickly after we leave, if that helps our situation.

I'm intending on getting professional advice very shortly as to the best way to minimise my tax exposure, and any comments on my situation would be greatly appreciated.


Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”