This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

migrating - rebate?

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Postby lizzel » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:15 am

Please excuse my ignorance as this is the first time on this site. I am migrating to Australia in October and have been told if I fill out relevant forms I should be entitled to a rebate from my National Insurance and TAX contributions. I have come across some information about form P85 for TAX, but no information about NI.
Also my fiance is an Australian citizen who has been working in UK for nearly 2 years and has been paying TAX & NI. Will he be able to claim anything back?
Thanks again. All replies will be gratefully welcome.

Ian McTernan CTA
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Bedford

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:25 am

There is no facility to claim back NIC contributions unless you have overpaid them. The tax rebate arises as a result of unused personal allowance in the year of departure, so you will both receive a small tax refund on departure and after submitting form P85 and your respective P45s.

Your fiance's position on NIC could be a little more complex than this but usually it is not worth claiming anything back from the UK as the costs of doing so outweigh the advantages.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Email through link on website:

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”