This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

voluntary contributions

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Postby Davanian » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:51 pm

My wife paid National insurance for 6 years prior to emigrating to Australia in 1979. No further payments have been made since.We are considering retiring to the UK in 2010. Is it possible to make Class 3 voluntary contributions so she would be eligible for a percentage of the basic pension.

Ian McTernan CTA
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Bedford

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:26 pm

You will need to contact the Inland Revenue National Insurance Contributions office to see whether see is eligible to contribute, although as you have not been resident here for so long I would doubt that they would want to allow this.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Email through link on website:

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Postby mooresteve » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:16 am

my knowledge is a bit rusty, but when I worked in NI, the rule was that one could only go back six years in making voluntary, or Class 3 contributions, therefore your wife could only buy the qualifying years from 98-2004. Not sure if this is still the case.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”