This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Spreading pay out to reduce NI

Andrew01
Spreading pay out to reduce NI

Postby Andrew01 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:34 am

Dear NI Forum

Employer has verbally said I am doing something wrong by submitting my timesheets when I decide, as it reduces the NI I pay, saying I should submit the timesheets in the week I work. Is there anything wrong as far as HMRC is concerned with me submitting timesheets when I decide?

I am paid weekly therefore the NI Earnings Threshold/ET is £110 a week.
I am only paid for work when I submit the timesheets
I have no contracted hours, but work when I decide/the employer wants me
My hourly rate contains element for holiday pay, so I don’t get separate holiday pay.
I am aware of benefits of paying/being awarded NI credits.
My NI contribution letter is A

Example
In week one I worked 2 days earning £100 a day
I complete a separate timesheet for day one and two
At the end of the week I submit only one timesheet I therefore pay no NI on that weeks £100 pay.
In week two I am on holiday, but post in the timesheet for day two I therefore pay no NI on that weeks £100 of pay.

Therefore In this example I have saved paying NI on 11% of £90 that is £9.90 of NI, by not submitting both timesheets in week one.

The employer is saying I should not hold onto timesheets and submitting them when I want.

Iain

JRG

Re: Spreading pay out to reduce NI

Postby JRG » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:20 am

It may seem an easy way to avoid paying N.I., but it doesn't work in practice.

If you submit one worksheet a week at just below the threshold, say £109, you will earn a maximum of £5,668 in a year.

If you hope to earn more than this then at sometime you're going to have to submit worksheets that exceed the threshold.

Andrew01

Postby Andrew01 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:26 pm

As you say I plan to earn only £5000 to £6000 in this job this year and have done in past years. I should made this clear in my original question.

JRG

Postby JRG » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:40 am

In that case, I see no problem in what you're doing.

I understand that the weekly rate applies if you are paid weekly.

If you are paid monthly then a proportional monthly rate applies (i.e. £110 x 52 / 12 = £476.66).

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”