This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Timing of NIC payments

Curious Beast
Timing of NIC payments

Postby Curious Beast » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm so used to having client's pay the 'magic amount' each month to give them an NIC history without incurring NIC I have realised I don't know the exact rules...

Is it necessary to make 12 payments to maintain an NIC record, or is 1 enough? A client has worked for a month as an employee and paid Class 1, and is now set up as a company. They don't want to set up for PAYE until next year, is their single NIC payment in 13/14 enough for the whole tax year, or is there more to it? Basically have they already ticked the box to say 'NIC contributed' for the year and don't need to do it again?

I realise there is a tax saving to be had by paying the magic amount, but that aside are further payments needed this tax year?

Many thanks!

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”