This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

company car tax

andrewcrane89
company car tax

Postby andrewcrane89 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi i wondered if any one could help. I have been offered a company car from my company. I am struggling to find out some information. Last year i went about £1500 into the 40% tax bracket. Does company car tax work the same way, it only taxes you 40% when you go over the thresholed or is it done on the previous year? Thanks

bd6759

Re: company car tax

Postby bd6759 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:54 am

What you earned last year has nothing to do with the tax you will pay this year.

jpcentral

Postby jpcentral » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:56 am

The calculated benefit in kind is added to your other earnings in the current year to arrive at an overall taxable amount.

If your normal earnings are in excess of the 40% band your company car benefit will be taxed at the higher rate.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

andrewcrane89

Postby andrewcrane89 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:28 pm

So would that mean that it will be only on the month/s that i am in the higher tax bracket ill be charged 40% ? Thanks

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:00 pm

So would that mean that it will be only on the month/s that i am in the higher tax bracket ill be charged 40% ? Thanks
No - it is by reference to the Tax Year (6 April to 5 April).

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”