This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employed + Self employed (Voluntary NIC)

arakh
Employed + Self employed (Voluntary NIC)

Postby arakh » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:25 pm

First of all sorry if this has already been asked, I'm sure in one way or another it has, but I have looked around and couldn't find the exact same situation. During last year I was employed first by one company, then by another, and then from six months to date I have been Self employed. My contributions during the time I was employed are all ok, but when filling in my Self Assessment, HMRC gives me the option to pay or not Class 2 contributions given that the money I have made whilst Self employed is below the Small Profit Threshold of £5,965...

My question is, if I sum up all the money I have earned both employed and Self employed I am well over that threshold, would that mean that I need to pay those class 2 contributions anyway? or would I only have to pay if it's exclusively my Self employed profit that is over the Threshold, regardless of whatever money I may have earned whilst being employed?

Anyone kind enough to shed a light on this for me?

Thanks a lot!!!

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”