This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New HMRC rules on expenses.

ollie
New HMRC rules on expenses.

Postby ollie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:07 am

I am a teacher and the school has revised its staff expenses for trips/training days. The allowance for lunch is now £5 and dinner £5 (before 8pm). We have been told that any expense above that is now taxable - so the school will not pay it (!!) In future, we have been instructed to include the cost of meals for a trip in the charge made to parents. I have just returned from a 10 day residential trip abroad with students and the potential extra costs begin to mount. I - and a number of colleagues in the Common Room - have two questions. 1. Can the school negotiate higher limits for expenses with HMRC? 2. If parents are charged for the total cost of meals, will these expenses above the £5 limit be liable for tax and NI?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”